MUSIC && COding?
- If you've skimmed through my website, you've probably noticed some of my research interests and nexus I enjoy exploring: music, computer programming, technology, video games, participatory culture, and so on. I have divided my website into two main sections (computer programming and music education) in order to assist with finding resources I share with others. Despite this organizational divide, I believe the two overlap in ways that few discuss in either field. Borrowing from common programming syntax, I have chosen to label this page "music && coding" because I believe when someone codes music and sound projects, we cannot have an understanding of one without the other. Meaning, one uses (or develops) an understanding of both music and code when engaging in music and sound related coding projects. The following sections intend to parse out some of the specific music && coding examples found within the computer programming section.
- MAXP/MSP is a graphical programming language used by composers and artists to create interactive music and art software, installations, compositions, and more. I have used the language to create a few music tools and software that I have shared on my website. All of these projects are geared toward a high school and above level of understanding music && coding.
- Click here to view all of the project files.
- Scratch is a block-based programming language developed by MIT and used by elementary through professional programmers to create and share media arts programs. I, and the kids I work with, have developed a variety of music and sound programs in Scratch. All of these projects are geared toward an elementary and above level of understanding music && coding.
- Sonic Pi is a platform that uses the programming language "Ruby" to create live music through code. All of these projects are geared toward an elementary and above level of understanding music && coding.
- Click here for Sonic Pi resources and projects.
Swift is Apple's new(ish) programming language used to develop various apps and software for iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS. In the K-8 coding classes I work with, I have developed a variety of apps and resources that guide kids through app making processes. Of the apps that focus on music and sound, these projects are geared toward an advanced elementary and above level of understanding music && coding.
Click here for Swift resources and projects.
Check out apps like "Beatbox Machine", "Shakey Shakey", and "Music Player" to explore the nexus between music && coding.
- In addition to the resources above and the playlist below, many of my presentations and upcoming publications explore the nexus between music && coding.